Friday, April 5, 2013

Writing Your Memories-- Week 6

This happened a few months after our marriage. We were both attending college, living on a shoestring, and trying to make everything work. It was a hard time because of our lack of funds.
_____________________________________________________________

I must admit, when I got married I still had a lot of growing up to do. I had my dreams about what marriage was, and I soon found out they were not reality. I thnk I must have thought marriage was like the old nursery rhyme about the girl whose husband sat her on a cushion and gave her strawberries and cream to eat, and made her the center of his universe. I was to learn that those dreams were pretty childish, and life was not like that.

Here I was, a girl of 19, married to a man of 25. We both were in school, living in a small duplex on the GI bill which netted us $120 per month. I worked afternoons at an insurance office and earned $12.00 per week. Charlie worked for an appliance store in downtown Decatur, Texas, and he and his friend made $5.00 every time they installed a TV antenna (which was not too often). The small amount of money helped a little, but some student preachers at the college thought having a television in your home was sinful, so they had regular prayer meetings for Charlie and Richard, asking the Lord to convict them of their sin--getting that devilish TV into people's homes.

We were pretty poor, and I thought I deserved better. At one time, Charlie came into a little extra money; I don't remember exactly how he got it, but he took the money, drove to Fort Worth and bought a set of Bible Commentaries and some much-needed black preaching shoes. He came home and showed me what he had bought, and I foolishly got mad because he didn't buy anything for me.

"I'll just go home to my mother," I said, thinking he would apologize and beg me to stay. But no! He went to the bus station, bought me a ticket to Dallas and brought it back to me. "Pack your bag," he said, "here's a ticket to go home to your mother."

What a revolting development that was! I didn't really want to go, I just wanted to get my way. But home to my mother I went.

In Dallas, I called my mother and asked her to come to the bus station to pick me up. On the way home, she asked what had happened, and I told her. By this time, I was ashamed, but I was also mad.

Lo and behold, she bought me a ticket back to Decatur!  She said, "You married that preacher, now you have to learn to live with him." I spent one night at home, but the next day I was on the bus, going back to our little college town, our modest home, and my new husband.

I had called ahead and Charlie was there to pick me up at the bus station. We made up and I never threatened to leave again. I had learned my lesson. I realized a preacher needed a wife who would stand by him, not one who would run away at the least inclination.

Years later, I asked my husband why he bought that ticket and pushed me to go to Dallas, when he knew I didn't really want to do it. He said, "I knew you loved me, I just wanted you to be sure about it." What a wise man I married.
He used those Bible Commentaries for fifty years of preaching.


For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
and they will become one flesh.  (Genesis 2:24 NAS)
 This is a story from my book A Heritage of Faith. You can comment to get your name in a drawing to win one of my books, which is filled with stories like this. You may choose between hard and soft cover if you win. Be sure to leave your email address so I can contact you if you are the winner. Winner will be announced at the end of April.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO ENTER THE CONTEST TO WIN A BOOK BY MONA HODGSON. GO TO THE SIDE BAR, CLICK ON INTERVIEW WITH MONA HODGSON AND ENTER YOUR NAME ALONG WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED HERE ON APRIL 12, AND I WILL CONTACT THE WINNER BY EMAIL.

MONA WILL SEND THE WINNER AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF TWO BRIDES TOO MANY.

No comments:

Post a Comment