Monday, November 19, 2012

Just Stay in the Race

Mary Hollingsworth tells a story about the noted director of biblical epics, Cecil B. DeMille. When they began working on the movie Ben Hur, DeMille talked to Charlton Heston—the star of the movie—about the all-important chariot race at the end. He decided Heston should actually learn to drive the chariot himself, rather than just using a stunt double.

Heston agreed to take chariot-driving lessons to make the movie as authentic as possible. Learning to drive a chariot with horses four abreast, however, was no small matter.

After extensive work and days of practice, Heston returned to the movie set and reported to DeMille. "I think I can drive the chariot all right, Cecil," said Heston, "but I'm not at all sure I can actually win the race."

Smiling slightly, DeMille said, "Heston, you just stay in the race, and I'll make sure you win."

Those are the words of God to everyone through a time of tumultuous change: "John, Mary, Heather, you just stay in the race, and I'll make sure you win." Look for God's hand. If you cannot see it in the event itself, look for it in the aftermath when you are putting your life back together. I promise you, God's hand will be there. (King Duncan, Collected Sermons, www.Sermons.com)

 I borrowed this story from Donna Goodrich's blog today (with her permission) because it really spoke to me. How many times have I thought I just couldn't keep up, I couldn't stay in the race? I'm sure every woman had has these feelings. Can you remember a time like that?

Back in our early days in the ministry, when the money was short and the bills kept coming in, and I kept having babies while my husband tried to finish seminary, it was hard for me to stay in the race. I even dropped out for awhile when my emotional depression took me out.

But God is good. He picked me up and kept me on the path. Today I count my blessings and thank Him for His goodness.

Psalm 40:5 reminds me, "Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for me no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare."

Thank you, Lord.


In my book "A Heritage of Faith," one of the chapters deals with the nervous breakdown that I had when I was a young mother, and how God brought me out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment, Greg. It spoke to me and I thought it would speak to others as well.

    ReplyDelete