Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My brother

It looks like it has been a long time since I posted on here. March 7, to be exact, and today is March 30. I have been writing some things and posting them on http://www.churchmouse.com/ and working on some stories about Bible characters, and I have been reading for book reviews for Christian Library Journal. I have also been getting ready for knee surgery on April 4. I never could do just one thing. I have to have at least five things going at once.

My total knee replacement is set up, the machine to exercise my leg is on the way, I talk with the anesthesiologist and the hospital people tomorrow, and it seems things are moving along.

Then yesterday, just before noon, one of my sisters called. My brother, Coy, died during the night. His home is in Arlington and he was found on the floor in the bathroom, so nobody knows for sure what happened. He had been having blackout spells for several months, he had congestive heart failure, and his heart had serious problems. He also had an aneurism and diabetes. It seems his problems went on and on. He had several stays in the hospital during recent months.

Because of my surgery in St. Louis Monday, I can't get to Dallas for the funeral. But my mother, my sisters, and Coy's wife all understand that I have to do this knee surgery now. If I cancel I have to start all over and I won't get better in time for our grandson's weddings and then the weddings of both our daughters this summer.

My brother and I were close as children, but we drifted apart. His life and mine were on separate tracks for many years. Recently, however, I began calling him about once a week and talking with him. I am so glad I did.

I've been thinking about family dynamics. We never stay at close as we intend to. I wish we had been able to do more. I wish I had spent more time with my only brother.

But I know he accepted Christ as his Savior when he was a child. I can be sure that I will see him again in Heaven. He's there now, with our dad, praising Jesus.

I can be thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment