Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A New Beginning--2013

It has been a long time since I have posted on here. I took a vacation, I guess. We went to Texas to see a new great-grandchild and a grandson home from the Navy, then both my husband and I got sick and are still recuperating. But time didn't wait on us. The New Year has come and we are in it, ready or not.

As Genesis 8:22 says, "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease." Time marches on. No matter what we may do to try to slow it down or speed it up, it continues at its own steadfast pace.

I think I've given up on trying to make and keep New Years' Resolutions. I remember as a child wishing to change something in my life, and every January 1, I would resolve to do it, but it happened in its own time, not because of my efforts. Then I remember times as a young mother, my New Years' Resolution would be to lose a few pounds, or to exercise more, and it seemed that I never managed to do those things with any regularity, either.

New Years' Resolutions encourage us to try harder, to do better, or to fulfill a goal, but most people laughingly tell about how they did NOT keep their resolutions. So I think I'll just stop making them. Publicly, at least.

Our Youth pastor preached Sunday morning from the book of Ephesians. His sermon title was "Learning How to Walk." That's what I want to do, to walk (or live) so that people will know I am a Christian. I want there to be no discrepancy between my inner self and my outer presentation to the world.  Gene made a comment Sunday that stuck with me: "Whatever you fill your life with controls you." So I'm concentrating on determining what fills my life and desiring it to be God's way and God's will.

I noticed a comment on Facebook. The lady said, "This year I want to read facebook less and my Bible more." I know one thing about that, if I read the Bible more, I will see Jesus' face, rather than the faces of friends on the computer. Therefore, while you may be deciding whether to lose weight, exercise more, spend more time with family, learn something new and exciting, or even to fall in love this year, let me encourage you to just lean on Jesus more.

Don't waste a moment. Walk wisely.


No comments:

Post a Comment